Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Drop in the Bucket (List)

Pre-concert cocktail. And yes, that's a one gallon fishbowl.
Last week, I am proud to brag say, I crossed an item off my bucket list. For my birthday, Clint gave me tickets to see Dave Matthews Band and the concert was Wednesday night. Since I got the tickets in April, I had been plotting and planning every little detail of an amazing evening.

I even found a cocktail worthy of celebrating a bucket list event (coincidentally, it was also the size of a bucket, so perfecto) for a pre-concert tailgate. Everything was fully arranged. But, as you may know by now, things happen to me that don't happen to most people. Case in point: after looking forward to the concert for months and giddily anticipating a fantastic night, around concert go-time, big, black Armageddon clouds began to roll in and a downpour ensued.
Rain ravaged, but still all smiles.

It rained so hard it came down sideways. Lightening strikes zigged and zagged. It was, as the meteorologists like to say, a severe thunderstorm (which is a severe understatement). The concert was delayed for about two hours and the lawn seats at the amphitheater had to be evacuated. My carefully tousled beach waves got drenched, and my new turquoise earrings and well-planned outfit got accessorized with a chic plastic poncho. We grinned, we beared it, we bought t-shirts. When life hands you raindrops the size of lemons, make lemonade.

But I have to tell you, now that I have crossed an item off and checked that box as 'done,' I have examined said bucket list, and the bucket is pretty darned empty. I find this highly alarming because somehow I feel as though a short bucket list might cause an early demise...and that leaves me eager to add to my want-to-dos.

So far (and you will see from what my little heart desires that I live a semi-sheltered life), here's what I've got:

1. Have a surprise party thrown for me. Preferably to celebrate my birthday, but hey, I'll take what I can get.

2. In a word: ITALY. See it, tour it, eat it.

3. Buy an insanely big, fantastic hat and take it to the Kentucky Derby. Drink mint juleps and accept compliments on said hat.

4. Renew my and Clint's wedding vows at one of those ultra tacky drive-thru wedding chapels in Las Vegas, officiated by an Elvis impersonator. Use the picture from the ceremony for our Christmas card that year, with a tagline saying something about your holidays being full of surprises.

5. Throw a band party in my backyard. Band, and occasion for party, TBD. Start brown nosing now and you might just make the guest list. Flattery will get you everywhere.

6. I am not a big sports person (duh), but the Days of Our Lives celebrity softball tournament would be so awesome. I have been watching Days since preschool, and I would adore watching Stefano DiMera catch a fly ball.

7. Have season tickets for Clemson football, and a major tailgate spot to go along with it. Orange-filled, tiger-paw-covered fun to follow. (I could probably add Clemson items numbering up to a zillion, but for the sake of brevity, I won't go there. I love it, you know it, you get the idea.)

8. See the Macy's Thanksgiving Day parade--not from the street level, but from a hotel balcony overlooking the parade route so I can be warm and have the luxury of my own private bathroom.

9. Sail on a yacht. Preferably in Greece or along the French Riviera, but I don't want to knit pick. You know me, easy breezy.

And that's pretty much all I've got. Clearly this list needs to be padded, so I'm opening the floor to suggestions--what else belongs on my ultimate to-do list?

Let me also add that I have already checked off visiting New York City, seeing a Broadway play, and going to Hawaii. I've been indoor skydiving, parasailing, and have managed to meet a President (that would be G.H.W. Bush '41). Further, be aware that suggestions of sporting events (as a spectator or participant) need not apply.

Beyond that, I'm all ears. Tell me what belongs on my list--and hey, it's not all about me (well, maybe a little)--tell me what's on your bucket list, too. Fill 'er up!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Remember: brains and looks will only take you so far, but flattery will get you everywhere.