Monday, May 5, 2014

You Make My Dreams

Someone stop me before I sing Private Eyes again. No wait, don't. I am still thoroughly enjoying myself from the Hall and Oates concert Clint and I went to last night.



To be fair, a few years ago, I saw a picture of a college friend and his wife at a Hall and Oates concert in Maryland. Why in the world did they go to that, I laughed? Do Hall and Oates even have any songs I would recognize? So I looked up the Very Best of Hall and Oates album on Amazon. And it kind of blew my mind. Every single song was great. Don't believe me? Here is a list of some of what was played last night at the concert here in Charlotte:




Maneater
Sara Smile
She's Gone
Out of Touch
Rich Girl
I Can't Go For That (No Can Do)
Say It Isn't So
Kiss On My List
You Make My Dreams
Private Eyes


Are you singing yet? That's what I thought. Concerts like theirs are fun because you don't have to spend any time enduring those obscure songs that only the artists and super fans recognize. When they came out and opened up with Maneater, I knew we were in business.

When we made the plans to go, I was a little worried since the concert was on Sunday night. As a happy housewife, I don't give much thought to staying out late on school nights; however, one of us does get up bright and early at sunrise o'clock every day to head into the office, and I didn't want to keep Clint out past his bedtime. It turns out, I needed not worry. You see, Hall and Oates (and most of their concert goers) are not exactly spring chickens any more. They started the show at 7:45, and by 9:15 they were leaving the stage so we could all get home and go to bed. If that seems short, it was--but packed with great music. It was like they cut out all the filler and just gave an express concert.

The people watching was also excellent. As I mentioned, it was not exactly a young crowd, which was actually really enjoyable. When we went to see Dave Matthews last year, we had to put up with a lot of less-than-polite people, smoking (cigarettes and otherwise), and the smell of patchouli oil wafting through the air. At the amphitheater for Hall and Oates, we sat with people our parents' and grandparents' ages and watched them dance in their seats, cardigans, khakis, and all.

As we made our way for the exit (and home before the ten o'clock news), we found these two and had to get a picture:


How often do you get to have your picture made with Hall and Oates? It was the perfect way to cap off our very fun Sunday night. Been there, done that, bought a t-shirt, and still got a full night's sleep. Kind of gives new meaning to "you make my dreams come true."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Remember: brains and looks will only take you so far, but flattery will get you everywhere.