Wednesday, December 14, 2016

Deck the Halls, Y'all

It's the most wonderful time of the year...well, for the most part. I love Christmas, but at some point every year I get the sincere feeling that it might not be mutual. I try, but Christmas puts up a fight. This season, the beautiful gold wrapping paper I was so excited to purchase sheds glitter like a hyped up kid at a rave. After just three gifts, I had glitter in my hair, eyes, and nose. My guest bedroom looks like Tinker Bell exploded, not to mention the charming quality the paper also has where it prohibits any type of tape from sticking for any prolonged period of time. Maybe Christmas is like an elementary school boy, picking on the ones it likes the best as a way to flirt. Whatever the cause, the holidays are upon us, so it's time to get the halls decked and our spirits bright, whatever it takes.

Our decorations are a bit more understated this year, since my ankle has kept me from climbing ladders or standing for too long, but we did as much as we could stand. I'll give you the holiday tour of the house that mayhem built, starting with the outside.

I really like this angle because you can't tell that the lights on the left side keep going out. Or that for the first few days, every time we turned the outside lights on, it tripped a breaker and we lost power inside the house. Oh, Christmas. You're such a prankster.


The mailbox is festive and ready to receive all those Christmas cards I enjoy so much!


We got the tree up without incident this year (a rare blessing, indeed), and since it's usually too hot in the South in December for a fire, I added fresh magnolia strung with lights inside my fireplace for a warm, cozy look. Then a cold front came in and it's 40 degrees outside. You got me again, Christmas. 



One of my favorite Christmas decorations is my Lenox holiday china. I literally count down the days every year until I can set my dining room table for the season. 


I really do wish every day could be like Christmas--all sparkly and shiny and gorgeous.


And then there are just a few little touches around my house that bring me cheer throughout the day.

This happy little display is snowman potpourri--see the top hat, corncob pipe, and red mitten? 


I know it's hard to believe, but sometimes I do get a tad cranky during the hustle and bustle this time of year. And this guy looking back at me from my kitchen reminds me to stop and just be jolly. By golly. (Sorry, couldn't resist).


This is a replica of Tillman Hall, the iconic clock tower building on my beloved Clemson campus. Naturally, I like to make a big deal each night out of turning on the lights in the windows at Tillman. 
It really is the little things.


We travel to Georgia to spend the holidays with my family, but our guest bedroom is still cozy and ready for guests, just in case.


We got this huge red glass bowl as a wedding gift, and it's so merry filled with ornaments on our dresser. You know if it glitters and shines, I'm powerless to resist.


At our back door, I filled my rain boots with a few sprigs of holly and added our "Let It Snow" wreath. I always want it to snow, until it actually does. Even then I like it for the first hour or so.


And this is probably the only antler head we will ever display, but I enjoy him so much
watching over us out on our deck. 'Tis the season, you know.


We have garland and lights and bows and all kind of happy, shiny things on our deck as well, but as of publishing time, a light bulb had gone out and we didn't have a replacement (just Christmas being coy again). I decided not to get my tinsel all in a tangle and to just skip posting pictures of that part of the decor. I'm sure you can picture it in your mind and it is just fabulous, right? Go with that. 

From my house to yours, we wish you a very Merry Christmas and all the wonders of the season. Eggnog to ornaments, gifts to gatherings, cookies to cards, it really is a special time of year. Enjoy every moment of it!




No comments:

Post a Comment

Remember: brains and looks will only take you so far, but flattery will get you everywhere.