Tuesday, October 3, 2017

All Treats, No Tricks

I've told you before that I love this time of year--the cooler weather, the leaves changing colors, cozy sweaters and crackling fires...but also, decorating and getting into the spirit of fall. I've never met a pumpkin I didn't love, so this year we bought an enormous one and put out some fun new Halloween decor. At the Stancil house this season, we're all treats, no tricks.

I always start with this sign, which I think sets the tone for nights spent with friends out on our deck around the fire pit:


Inside, I've been enjoying a gorgeous fall lantern my (very talented) mom made for me this year. It's on our hearth in the family room, and every time I walk by, it puts a smile on my face.




Just looking at that, how can you not love this time of year? Acorns and gourds and lanterns, oh my!

I do have to admit that I've been lazy with my outdoor decorations over the last couple of years. Let me ashamedly confess that we have been one of those houses that puts a bowl of Halloween candy on the front porch rather than answer the door a zillion times for all the trick-or-treaters that bombard our neighborhood. Because of that, I have left my Halloween decorations in their storage bins and kept things to a minimum--I feel strongly that to decorate our exterior for Halloween and then not answer our door on the actual holiday is a surefire way to get our yard rolled. This year, however, I promise to stock up on candy, keep the porch lights on, and dole out confections like it is my job. And to go along with that, we have two new friends outside in our yard....


Meet Mr. Bonejangles and his dog, Fang (we thought it would be bad luck not to name our skeletons and we do not invite bad luck in this house). I saw them in a catalog over the summer and instantly fell in love. I knew we had to have them, and they've already gotten their fair share of attention since I put them out Monday.








Can you see that sizable pumpkin in the background? Go big or go home, am I right?

After I found our skeleton and his four-legged friend, I wanted a similar wreath to take the theme right up to our front door. All it took was a visit to the Etsy website, and I found this one which was a perfect companion.




The last step was to give a little Halloween touch to the mailbox, so I fancied it up just a bit with a matching bow and some spooky black foliage.




I think we're dressed and ready for the occasion; now, to restrain myself from eating all the Halloween candy before the end of the month. Maybe the best part of all the decorations is that they're calorie-free!

Happy Fall! 




No comments:

Post a Comment

Remember: brains and looks will only take you so far, but flattery will get you everywhere.