Monday, December 3, 2018

Celebrating Seventeen: An Anniversary Post

Leaving our wedding reception on December 1, 2001.

This Saturday marked our seventeen year wedding anniversary (which seems impossible given our youth and vitality, so my only explanation is that we were virtual babies when we said "I do"). People who haven't met my other half ask me all the time what he's like--I'm sure in an attempt to understand what it takes to live with someone like me on a daily basis--so I thought I would begin by telling you a little bit about the dynamics of our relationship (Clint, don't get nervous, I'll be gentle).

We are a prime example of opposites attracting; I'm a chatty extrovert with a quick temper, and Clint is the patient, easy going type who is content to quietly observe a group from a distance. I'm rhinestones and glitter, he's classic khaki pants and loafers. I'm loud and excitable, Clint is measured and even-keel. There are plenty of times I have to chide him to be more enthusiastic, and no lack of occasions where he has to remind me to calm down. I realize when I write this it makes us sound like I'm Yosemite Sam and Clint is Ghandi, but somewhere in between those two, you have us. And as my pastor who married us those seventeen years ago is fond of saying about our nuptials, "It looks like it stuck."

A December anniversary can get tricky because time and money are scarce commodities around the holiday season. In the past, we have taken weekend trips to places like Charleston or to the Biltmore Estate in Asheville, and we always enjoy seeing all the lights and decorations that come with this time of year as we celebrate another year of being together. However, with a dog who will be sixteen on Christmas day and a calendar full of obligations, we celebrated this milestone with a leisurely weekend at home.

I asked Clint Friday evening if there was anything in particular he would like to do on Saturday to celebrate. Ever the foodie, he responded that he wanted Bloody Marys, charcuterie, and a nice dinner out. It would seem that saying about the way to a man's heart being through his stomach is right on the (sodium-laden) money.

Saturday was a rainy, dreary day and the perfect weather to relax and do nothing. We started our morning with those Bloody Marys as requested and an episode of the television police drama Blue Bloods; nothing says family values like Frank Reagan and his clan.

A celebratory round of Bloody Marys to start the day.

With gray skies and a steady, soaking rain, we opted for one of our favorite lazy day pastimes: a jigsaw puzzle. We may be opposites, but thank goodness we are both puzzle nerds together. On this occasion, we decided to work on a smaller, 500-piece puzzle with a scene of some overwater bungalows in Tahiti...a fond memory from my birthday trip back in April. And, for sustenance while we worked, we put together a charcuterie board perfect for snacking. Ask and ye shall receive, Clint.

The couple that puzzles together, stays together.

The finished product, and it looks just like where we stayed in Tahiti!

It was a mellow afternoon on all counts, but we did at least clean ourselves up and venture out to one of our favorite restaurants for dinner. We chose comfort food and headed to a local Italian place for some delicious house made pasta.

I don't know if it's the food or the company causing his huge smile. It has to be the company.

The restaurant surprised us with this tiramisu for dessert.

After eating to our heart's content, we debated heading to our neighborhood wine bar for a nightcap, but naturally wound up giving in to our full stomachs and the gloomy weather and retreating to the house instead. We turned on the Christmas tree, made ourselves a couple of cranberry lime "Yule Mule" cocktails, and watched one of our favorite holiday shows: a collection of Saturday Night Live holiday skits from over the years that had us laughing out loud.

Back home for a cozy end to the day.

So this is seventeen years of marriage. Over our romantic dinner, we made plans for growing old together. I made Clint promise to have my lip waxed should I become too old and feeble to oversee it myself; I decided that should his memory fail him, I will perpetually pretend that his Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets are the college football national champs and let him celebrate.

It's not always flashy or trendy, and it may not cause envy among all our friends. It's not easy all of the time, not particularly glamorous, and sometimes it looks a lot like jigsaw puzzles and being home in your pjs by 9:30. But, thankfully, it works.

Happy 17th Anniversary to us!






No comments:

Post a Comment

Remember: brains and looks will only take you so far, but flattery will get you everywhere.