Tuesday, September 24, 2019

It's Fall, Y'all (Now Act Like It)

Monday was officially the first day of fall, marking the beginning of my favorite time of year (fall through Christmas, specifically, and if you know me at all you know I've got the wreaths and decorations to prove it). Everywhere I go, people mention how ready they are for fall, what a welcome change it will be from this sweltering, sultry season we have been in, and I couldn't agree more. If they say spring has sprung, well then fall has fallen, and my simple request to our dear friend Mother Nature is this: act like it. And if you need proof that autumn has arrived, let me present you with some evidence.

I've got my front door all dressed...

This cutie is on the hearth...

And when Little Debbie tells us there's a holiday, we believe it.

Even the grocery stores are gourd-geous this time of year.

So why is this my forecast? Hmmm?

Yes, Mother Nature, I'm talking to you. We've put away our swimsuits, our white jeans, and our strappy sandals (well, I hope you have and if not, consider this a friendly reminder) and now we just want you to hold up your end of the bargain. We will give up the watermelon and tomato sandwiches and lightning bugs if you will just quit being a hussy with this weather situation. Admittedly, it's pretty much always hot in the South--why, we're used to running our air conditioner on Christmas Eve from time to time just to be able to wear our ugly Christmas sweaters--but my weatherman has already lamented that our weather here in Charlotte is about ten degrees above the average for this time of year.

Can't you let us drink our pumpkin spice lattes without having to sit on a block of ice while doing so? We want to make s'mores over a crackling fire, not just by holding them over the heat rising from the sidewalk. Our pumpkins are baking themselves into pies on their own, for Pete's sake. Devoted football folk are having to rig up box fans at the tailgate, just to keep everyone from completely melting before kickoff. I'm begging: give us a break. We've got sweaters and boots and scarves to think about. It's fall, Mother Nature. So put on your flannel and act like it...and while you're at it, pass me one of those Little Debbie pumpkin delights to go with my latte. It's the season, after all. Cheers to fall, y'all!

Bless our hearts.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Remember: brains and looks will only take you so far, but flattery will get you everywhere.