Wednesday, March 4, 2020

Meet Charlie: A New Puppy Post

We said goodbye to our long-loved dog, Cotton, back in January, and have been pretty sad and pitiful ever since. Not only has it been awfully quiet around here, no one particularly cares when we come home after being away, and Clint and I have been forced to actually talk to each other rather than to the dog. Our house just isn't home without a dog in it, so we began the search for a new furry little sidekick to fill the void.

Let me start right off by saying that there will be other dogs, and they will be adored, but there will never be another Cotton. That dog was scrappy, he was joyful, and he was amazing. He was our first dog, and I don't think there will ever be a day we don't miss that little guy. The day before we went to pick up our new addition, I started feeling somewhat guilty that it seemed like we were searching for a replacement. Clint's aunt offered the wisdom that we shouldn't think of a new dog as a replacement at all, but rather as Cotton's little brother. Let me just say that after knowing the new dog for four whole days, I think Cotton would approve. Without further ado, let me introduce our new three-pound bichon frise, Charlie!

We picked up "Charming Charlie" on Saturday. He is eight weeks old.

It has been a whirlwind adjusting to life with a puppy after having our senior dog for so long; Charlie is a curious, mischievous guy and into everything. I'm not sure I've had the chance to sit down since he arrived, but he gives lots of puppy kisses and is eager to please. Bichons were originally bred to perform as circus dogs, and with this guy, it shows. He is a total clown.

He is full of energy and loves his new backyard.


The new guy isn't much help with chores, except for eating the laundry while we try to fold.


At eight weeks, Charlie is teething and loves to nip and chew and bite...everything!


It's going to be a good life, Charlie, and I think you know it.

We are doing our best to keep our new family member entertained. He is very into any kind of jewelry and he loves playing with people's hair (he and I are obviously kindred spirits). His trainer was impressed with his bravery, and we have also noticed he has a flair for being dramatic when the occasion arises (again, Charlie, I'm with you). We have enjoyed lots of tug-of-war, worn ourselves out playing chase, and had our hearts melted once this little ball of chaos finally collapses for a power nap. The breeder gave us a week to return him for a full refund, but I'm pretty sure this one's a keeper. We will love him even more when he's potty trained!

On cue, Charlie is chewing on my laptop computer as I type, so it's clearly time for another puppy game of some sort. I'm sure this is the first of many times you will hear about our new companion, and I can almost guarantee there will be plenty of Charlie antics to come. (He and I have already managed to lock ourselves out of the house this week. In the rain. At 7:30 a.m. when I was in my pajamas, so there's that). The adventure continues!

Being this cute helps you get away with lots of mischief!






2 comments:

  1. Welcome Charlie! You’ve hit the mom & dad jackpot!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for all your encouragement and support along the way. It helped tremendously!

      Delete

Remember: brains and looks will only take you so far, but flattery will get you everywhere.