Wednesday, November 13, 2019

The Christmas Rush

My mom came to visit a couple of weekends ago, and as is our custom, we headed to the mall. It was the day after Halloween and I was a little taken aback that at lunchtime on this first day of November, there were Christmas decorations everywhere. Huge ornaments outside the mall, boxwood reindeer flanking the entrance, and garland, lights, and bows dripping from the ceiling inside. My mom is not afraid to celebrate Christmas any old time she feels the urge, so she was delighted to see all the adornments already in place.

Just a few days later, I was surfing radio stations and realized that one of the local light rock stations was playing Christmas music. I was bewildered that anyone would be ready to carol the first week of November (let's face it, there aren't that many yuletide songs to last us for two full months of sing alongs), but I assumed it was some kind of preview of the holiday music to come. I was wrong: the station is playing Christmas songs around the clock from now until December 26.

I love Christmas, but I'm also a fan of fall. I rarely miss an occasion to celebrate, so I'm not eager to fast forward at the risk of ignoring Thanksgiving. I want pumpkins, pilgrims, and fall leaves for just a bit longer before I start decking my halls with boughs of holly and whatnot. I need a couple more pumpkin spice treats before I'm ready to switch to eggnog.

Hang on a second, Santa: I've still got gobbling to do.

I can't skip the chance to enjoy my pilgrims, either.

Our mantle is still full of velvety pumpkins for a little while longer.

I've been seeing lots of complaints on social media about folks experiencing the same phenomenon. People are resentful to the point of being angry that Christmas is coming earlier and earlier every year. I get it--believe me, I do--but instead of letting it irritate me or cause me to try and persuade my friends who already have their trees proudly decorated and on display to stuff them back in the attic until the Thanksgiving dishes are done, I've decided: give me all the holidays.

But see? They can peacefully exist at the same time!

Sure, I want to enjoy more autumn before I hang the stockings and trim the tree, but to each their own. Let the Christmas people go crazy if it makes them happy. With everything going on in the world today, don't we have more things to worry about than if it's too soon to talk about Santa? Complain about the traffic, the weather, politics, or the inexplicable fact that the Kardashians are still wildly popular (a mystery of life if ever there was one) but if Karen down the street wants to plow straight to Noel and the nativity, good for her. You do you, and let's just all agree to celebrate however we darn well please. A little extra Christmas is certainly not the worst thing going on right now.

Well, when you put it that way...

I can understand the rush to Christmas. Last year, we decided to have a professional photographer come to the house and take some pictures for a family Christmas card. We put our tree up November 1 just for a photo opportunity, but were shocked at how much we enjoyed having it up early. We got extra time to bask in the cozy glow of the tree each evening, and the holiday season just felt less rushed. So if you want to start your jingle bell rocking around the Christmas tree, you go right ahead. I'll join you just as soon as I finish my turkey and dressing.

Here we are last year, enjoying Christmas in November
(also known as posing for our Christmas card, but you get my point).

Happy Everything! Enjoy whichever holiday you wish!







No comments:

Post a Comment

Remember: brains and looks will only take you so far, but flattery will get you everywhere.